Monster

He is a monster.His mouth widens to reveal three rows of teeth, and he is covered with blood.My blood.Even though he is hidden in the shadows, his pale skin shines through,Blinding me.When he walks into the light, his demon black eyes shift into a beautiful blue,And the red dripping from his chin is nowhere to be seen.  I cared for him.Years upon years, I held his hand and led him through life like a parent would,Despite us being the same age.For over a decade, I comforted him.I was there for him.I consumed his lies for breakfast and was drunk by lunch.But now I realize. I’m broken.My body is covered with reminders of his doings.His handprints are burned into my thighs.The cuts from his hatred scatter my shoulder blades.Under my eyes are the bruises he left on my mind for five years. He lives.The ones who promised to protect me from harm,The ones who swore everything was going to be okay, told me they slayed the beast.They lied.In fact, all they did was provoke it.Now, he comes for me silently.He says no words, but he shows his true self to me,The one no one else can see.  I’m terrified.I can’t sleep at night, knowing he’s around the corner.I can’t dream because he invades every one.I can’t leave my sanctuary, knowing he will pull the trigger on me.I’m trapped.