Happily Ever After

“If you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.”-Cinderella

1.Once upon a time, when I was a little girl, I got a princess dress for my birthday. From that day until the day it fell apart, I would cry whenever my mom tried to take it off of me. From that day on I always dreamed that I would marry a prince. That I would be the “peasent” girl that he would see across the room at the ball and immediately fall in love with.

2.We are raised to hope and then we get to be older and are told to grow up, to stop pretending, that settling is our best option.

3.Cinderella why couldn’t you teach us all to hope like you did. To wait for our prince charming.

4.Love hurts, but it’s worth the try. A motion of stillness. Love is the silence of chaos and the chaos of peace. A just war, and at times you may feel very alone when together.

5.You met your prince Charming and knew you loved him. His chivalry and love for you leading him in his search. You both knew it was meant to be when you had the other slipper. And of course with your fairy godmother to guide you.

6.Maybe we should all go shoe shopping, until we find the magic pair. Oh yeah, I forgot we’re commoners. What kind would they be? Stilletos? Boots? Flats? Maybe we should just buy them all!

7.Maybe if we all lived in castles with moats surrounding us. Our knights in shining armor to protect us always. Yes, I think a castle might help.

8.Cinderella what happens when the curtains close, the book is shut, the TV turns off, and the HAPPILY EVER AFTER is no longer plastered on the screen? Do you slave all day over laundry and dishes? Are you divorced? Is Charming off at war or always working? Or are the two of you still madly in love, and he remembers to put down the toilette seat? Or do you feel like a prisoner in your own home?

9.Cinderella dressed in yella went up stairs to kiss a fella. Made a mistake, kissed a snake, how many doctors did it take? One, two, three….

10.Cinderella look around families fall apart, young girls are raped, and daddies leave. There aren’t any prince Charmings here. No glass slippers and fairy godmothers.

11.Happily ever after isn’t just the cherry on top, but the whole sunday, from start to finish. From the cow in the field and the worker in South America growing the sugar cane.

12.You Cinderella, you worked hard to find your prince. You made it through the trials of your family life and your evil step sisters. You cinderella, I’m happy for you.

13.The light in the darkness, the glimmer of hope, the wish we’ve all made on a star. Happily ever after is a dream come true, and a dream is a wish your heart makes. It’s the wedding bells ringing, and true love’s first kiss. It’s now and forever and forever more.

14.But I, I’ve met my prince Charming. I am one of the lucky few. I think a castle and a magic pair of shoe are less than the gift of happily ever after. I will not be a prisoner in my own home, no I refuse. And if I close my eyes and count to one, two, three, I know he will always be there to fill my heart with laughter. I didn’t need a fairy godmother or a romantic walk in Rome. And I’m happy for you Cinderella and now for me too. And he and I will be happy forever more. He and I may seem alone together, but as long as we’re together I know I will never be alone. Settling is not an option and he is more than I could dream for. My prince Charming, and we’ll live HAPPILY EVER AFTER.