Defeating Stigma

Mon, 03/03/2014 - 16:08 -- gibby
No one ever told me it's okay, it's okay to be so anxious you can feel your heart wanting to jump out of your chest.
No one ever said to me, "I notice you're a little down, that's totally normal. It may take a while for it to pass", but hey I'm still Here.

And certainly, I told people I didn't know how to control my thoughts, that I was spiraling down- deeper and deeper until I couldn't see light. 
Somehow I am still Here.

Stigma is a terrible thing, it makes you stand out, to know that yes, you are in fact different and slightly more crazy than everyone else. You hold it in, because your parents have always told you about the looney bin- the place where they kept the people unfit for society. Padded walls and coats that keep you locked next to yourself for eternity.

So you become even more scared, because the last thing you want to do is end up there. In a world so dark and cold that you get lost in the depths of nothingness, to become nothing, and be one with nothing.
You are Nothing.

But you aren't Nothing at all, you are a person, who is just slightly skewed. Not screwed up, just a little bit skewed.