What Would You Change - Scholarship Slam

As I think about the world, I think about all the pain and violence. I think about the shootings that take place. I think about children abducted every day and how they’ll never see the light of day again. I think about the families that sit in darkness, because the dad just lost his job.

As I think about the world, I think how can all this be changed. Who, what, where, WHEN, and HOW? And if I think long enough, I know the solution. The solution is you and me. A great musician once said "If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make that change." (Man in the Mirror - Michael Jackson).

When I think about that statement, I realized that if I want the world to change, I need to change myself. And the way I do that is by treating others the way I want to be treated. And that means smiling at everyone, giving back to anyone in need, being there for a friend, speaking kind words to all. Because with these few simple actions and changes, I can start a movement. People will start to 'pay it forward'. I'll be kind to someone and them that person will be kind to another person and so on.

So I know the world won't change right away, but by making positive changes in my life and being the change I want to see, then I'll know the world will change, one person at a time.