"Thanks Mommy"

Mommy always taught me that my dreams are all I needed to push me through.

When I was in middle school and I experienced extreme low self-esteem, Mommy said to me my dreams are all I needed to push me through.

Confused and confidence still low I nodded my head, wiped away my tears, said “thanks Mommy” and continued with my day

When I went into my freshman year of High School I had my first real heart break, Mommy said to me my dreams are all I needed to push me through.

Confused and still heart broken I nodded my head, wiped away my tears, said “thanks Mommy” and continued with my day

This year right before the completion of my freshman year of college I experienced an elongated emptiness from the murder of one of my closest friends, homelessness, and an unhealthy amount of depression and stress; Mommy said to me my dreams are all I need to push me through.

Confused, angry, disappointed, and unable to wipe away my tears I screamed. What the hell does that mean!

She never did actually tell me what it meant however I now think I see.

I am able to sit here and write about all these obstacles because I saw how bright my future looked in my dreams.

My vision is all I need, so now whenever discouraged or unable to take the punches and blows of the world, mommy will say my dreams are all I need to push me through.

Confident and no longer confused, I nod my head, wipe my tears say, “thanks Mommy” and continue with my day.