Society Killed the Teenager.

It is society that killed the teenager.

scrambling, like an egg on a sidewalk, to make ends meet, to make grades meet the expectations of everyone else's standards.

All while living in a world full of overachievers, hiding behind a mask of false perfections.

I see you... and I see myself.

But, most of all I see my imperfections in your presence.

I see the way my hair doesn't fall at just the right angle, I see the way my clothes fit just too tightly around my waist, and I see the number of friends that I do not have.

Have you people always glided so angelically across these high school floors?

I've noticed how much laughter goes on as I stumble across these hallways. Is it at me?

How do I look. How do I sound. I should not have worn this dress today, because every can see me, I am naked

I see everything, but you do not see me.

You do not see the tears I cry every night when I go to sleep. You do not see me in my camouflage of baggy clothing hiding what I despise the most in my self. You do give a damn about the bright red and pink scars that pollute the pale skin of my inner forearms. You do not care.

So I wait... So I listen, to what should be the "greatest times of my life". You mean it gets worse?

I've lost my best friend. My parents do not understand. I am alone, in a sea of people, drowning in my own self doubt and you're not going to save me. I need to learn to stand on my own two feet. Won't you teach me how to live unafraid and accepting of my own body and mind?

Society made an attempt at murder on my life, at the age of 17. December 21st 2013. Pills in hand tears running down my face.

I stopped.

I chopped off two feet of my hair and I told the world not today. Today, I am a new person.

The world did not respond...

Ten months later, tears still running down my face as I read and write this poem to fight for my right to learn.

I am here.

I

AM

HERE.

To tell you that society did not kill this teenager. I am up. I am fighting. I am not going to give up my rights so be happy because my mind told me otherwise. 

No. 

Society did not kill this teenager.

Because society hits like a bitch.