Skinny Isn't Beautiful

"Skinny isn't beautiful; curvy is."

This is the common phrase that is directed toward people with curves as a way to make them feel better about themselves in this world surrounded by media that encourages praise towards slimmed beauty.

And this is also the common phrase that pisses me off more than anything.

I'll start off by saying that I get it.  I understand that this idea of curvy bodies being beautiful is the point that is supposed to be getting across.

But has anyone actually ever thought about it from a skinny person's point of view?

As someone who is naturally skinny because of genes and a fast metabolism and has never harmfully rendered her body on purpose, I have never felt more angered by this topic.  I feel as if everyone on this planet thinks that all skinny people are anorexic and/or bulimic.  They have planted this view in their mind that skinny people harm their bodies, and they use it as justification for saying that skinny bodies are not beautiful.  Well guess what?  Naturally skinny bodies do exsist, and your justification is false.  People think they're going around doing the world a favor by satisfying people's opinions about themselves and saying, "skinny is gross! Curvy is beautiful!" but really, they're doing exactly what the media advocating skinny people is doing.

They're completely shutting down the opposing body type.

And it's hypocritical.  Isn't the point of this belief to make people feel comfortable with their bodies?  I wish people would see how it affects the poeple who aren't thick and curvy.  Because of this highlighted opinion that curvy is the new beautiful, I feel as if no matter where I go people see my body as disgusting because I am not this beautiful girl with curves, but instead I am a skinny twig who is apparently annorexic.

"Oh my God, you're so skinny.  You need to eat more!" people say as they grab my wrist without hesitation and wrap their hand around it so that their thumb and pointer finger meet.

I CANNOT TELL YOU how many times I've had to laugh this statement off.  What's really going on in my head?

Your natural body is not accepted because you look like you don't eat.  Everyone looks at you and thinks you're unhealthy.  This is the way your body was made, and it's awful.  I'm sure they wouldn't dare say something like this to an overweight person.  What makes it so much easier to offend a skinny person?

It seems as though every single human being on this corrupt planet thinks that comments about body type only affect the people who are overweight.  This is a COMPLETELY FALSE belief, and I cannot stress that enough.

Go ahead and talk about how thick and curvy bodies are beautiful.  But DON'T YOU DARE add "skinny is gross."

What's true is that people whose bodies are composed primarily of curves should feel comfortable with themselves despite the fact that the media [unfortunately] focuses mainly on skinny people being the most beautiful.  But why is it necessary to tell curvy people they are beautiful by announcing that skinny people are not?

There are ways to tell people of a certain body type that they are beautiful without degrading the other body types

Let the thick person be beautiful, and let the skinny person be beautiful.

RenewMe27

MAybe it's not traditional poem form but I feel it. I know exactly how you feel.