No More Games

You know when it finally hits you and you get tired of your own bullshit,

And it becomes too much and all you can think about is how bad you want to quit?

For the past couple of weeks, I have been holding on by a thread when I really wanted to give up,

Because my whole attitude switched, and I went from being positive, to seeing life as a half empty cup.

For so long I listened to the people around me who are constantly telling me what to do,

And I let it get in my head so much that I couldn’t see any of my goals all the way through.

Two weeks ago, I hit rock bottom, and it genuinely scared me,

Because everyone was telling me I couldn’t do it, and I suddenly started to agree.

I don’t know what changed in me, but I was someone who never listened to the opinion of others,

But I started to become someone that I didn’t recognize, and I started to turn into another.

It was a person that I didn’t recognize, and it was certainly a person that I did not like,

And I felt like everytime I tried to get a homerun, I just kept getting another strike.

I realized that I can blame the people around me as much as I want to,

But I finally woke up and realized that it has nothing to do with them, but it has everything to do with you.

You can blame the people around you as much as you want, but that doesn’t make it true,

It all comes down to what you want, and it all starts and ends with you.

Even if everyone around you is telling you that you can’t do it, you still have to believe,

Because even when they tell you can’t do it, you still have it in you the ability to achieve. 

With baby steps, I have slowly started to become the person that I was before,

Because I finally realized that I can do so much better, and that I can do so much more.

I was never someone who listened to the opinion of others, and in the past, I always did what I was told I couldn’t do,

And I always kept going, and I saw every challenge all the way through.

I am finally starting to feel like that girl again, who neve quit and did her own thing,

Because I always knew that I could do it, and I was never worried about what the future would bring. 

I am starting to remember that I don’t need anyone because I have full belief in myself,

And that you can always level up and do better, and that you don’t have to sit there and be another boring book on the shelf.

No matter what anyone is telling you, you have to keep going and do what you know is true in your heart, 

But all it takes is for you to believe in yourself, and just be willing to start. 

Julian Favretto

An excellent poem about ignoring the naysayers .  They aren't living your life, you are, so why try to do things the way they want you to do it.  You have to please yourself and grow according to your own capabilities.  Trying hard to be a people pleaser is a losing battle and the author brings that point home with extreme clarity.  Well said !                JF