To My Future Roommate

Dear future roommate,

The shower is my stage. Be prepared to hear me wailing to a song by the Beatles, Beyonce, or Nicki Minaj. Expect the world-class performer to come out when I walk into the shower. For your own sake, you should buy earplugs, even though I am convinced I can perfectly harmonize with Alicia Keys.

Furthermore, prepare to spend our Sunday afternoons watching movies with me. If you do not like movies, you are in for a treat. I will educate you in the way of binge-watching. You will soon realize the potential of a good tear-jerker or a feel-good movie. Nothing is more powerful than Judd Nelson thrusting his arm in the air because he got the girl or Jack holding onto Rose’s hand until his last breath. If you do not know what I am talking about, you soon will.

I’ve saved the best for last: my family. Expect my entire family to come for Move-In Day. That is all 24 of my cousins, 11 aunts, 11 uncles, and my grandma. They will all insist on taking hundreds of pictures us that they will frame and hang in their hallways. You will quickly catch on to our Spanglish and will get used to the craziness and chaos.

I look forward to meeting you and cannot wait for the year ahead of us.

Sincerely,

Esmeralda