Cries of the Past

Wed, 01/29/2020 - 10:06 -- bv

I felt their eyes, piercing through me with gazes as sharp as knives.Drip.I listened to their sweet lies, releasing the bitter poison that they implanted into the depths of my throat.Drop.I saw the sudden bursts of raw emotion, introducing me to the necessity of soft cushions.Drip.I wasn't crying back then.But now I am. You looked uncomfortable, as you sat on the ice cold pavement covered in a thin layer of snow.Drip.You stared as they shot arrows aimed towards your back, freely allowing them to do as they please.Drop.You felt every single shot that they threw at you, attempting and failing to protect your frail body.Drip.You weren't crying.So why am I? You and I were the same back then.The memories stood front and center, armed with the deadliest of weapons.They threatened to push us off the edge of this roof. They menacingly forced us to stare at the black and blue stains on our chests.It's in the past...Right?As one of us lay breathless on the edge of the roof,the other lays beneath the surface, struggling to keep the thin red thread connected.We were both crying.So why did only one of us survive?