Ode to homophobia

To the girl who thinks being gay is a choice:

Honey what is you doing?

Do you really think that I chose to be gay? Do you really think I chose to get shamed every time I mention my sexuality in public? Do you really think I chose to be labeled an abomination by the same god that I believe in and pray to? Do you really think that I chose to get death threats for my sexuality? Do you really think that I chose to have to hide my part of my life from my parents? Why the hell would anyone want to be gay!? I will never know what it’s like to not hide part of myself. I will never know what it’s like to hold the hand of someone I love without getting weird looks and angry comments. I will never know what it’s like to be accepted for who I am. Most of all I will never have the luxury of having my parents at my wedding. But you, you can kiss the one you love. You can get married at any church, you can invite anyone you want and no one will get offended, you can hold hands when you walk down the street and be smiled at. You can kiss the one that you love and not a single person will judge you. You will never be attacked, threatened, or shamed for being straight and yet you still think that I choose to be gay? You have no idea how lucky you are. How blessed you are to not have to hide. You want to know what I would do if I had the choice? Right now homosexuals are 3 times more likely to die from suicide and 5 times more likely to attempt suicide, so if I could choose, I would choose life.