Some people find their inspiration from looking to the future. Poetry can be a great way to begin focusing on your goals and making them reality — and of course, the creation of poetry itself can be a goal! Take a look at some of these examples, and try these tips to start creating your dream through poetry.
- Write about something that you have always wanted to do. We all have desires, and it is a good idea to write about something that you want, especially since when you succeed in achieving your goal, your poetry will be a reflection of the journey you took to get there.
- What made you want to do this? Write about what got you started in wanting to accomplish this specific goal. The people in our lives, including our friends and families, have an impact on us and our decisions. Maybe someone you know achieved a certain goal and inspired you to do the same. Maybe a parent or a mentor has encouraged you to reach for something great. Maybe you have your eye on a goal because nobody close to you has done it yet!
- What is preventing you from doing what you want to do? Sometimes lack of support from family members or simply lack of a certain physical or financial standing prevents us from achieving our goals. Sometimes we have our own doubts or fears. And sometimes we're simply unsure what all the specific steps from Point A to Point Z are.
- Next, think about how you can overcome these obstacles. Lots of times it can help to envision a specific path or plan! And if you have things in your way that seem truly insurmountable, it can also help to write about any sadness or frustration you might be feeling
- Put any obstacles aside for a minute and think about what you will do once you've overcome them, or what things would be like if they weren't there at all. Write about what your first step will be when you have a clear path. Being realistic about problems is important, but they don't have to be all we think about.
- What emotions do you think you will feel once you have achieved your goal? What in your life will change?
- Using all of these ideas, write a poem about your goals for the future and how you will accomplish them and then share it with your community at Power Poetry.org!