What Have I Learned About Heartbreak?

What have I learned about heartbreak?

I learned there will be times when it hurts so much you'll find yourself in a parking lot sitting in your car at 2:54 am, because that's the only place that isn't tainted by him, and you'll hug yourself so tight as if your arms worked as casts to mend what was broken.

It'll feel as if your skin is burning from the memory of his touch, and when you begin to scrub yourself raw in the shower you'll realize that even the water running down your arms won't erase the remnants of the forest fires he kissed along your neck.

I learned that there will be times when the tears won't stop coming because maybe that's your body's attempt of trying to wash away his scent along with your thoughts of false hope.

And when you accidentally bring up his name in conversation your chest is going to feel like it's been ripped open, and your stomach will drop a hundred feet into the ground as the memory of his face will surface your mind.

But I promise what will hurt the most is when your body betrays you and you think you hear his laughter when paying for your coffee, or see his figure walking down the busy hallway. You'll stop dead in the motion of life and turn expecting him to be there. Relief will wash over you along with the tsunami tide of heart clenching disappointment.

But what would you have said anyways?

And some day you'll stop looking for his face in the crowd, some day it won't hurt to sing along with the radio, some day you'll wake up in the morning and won't think about how you dreamt of him again.

What have I learned about heartbreak?

I learned we are going to fall in and out of love so many fucking times in this life until we miraculously end up with the right one.

What have I learned about hearbreak?

It's just another step closer to the next love of your life.