The Soldiers Wife

It was pouring rain on the day you left me. I didn't want to say goodbye, but I knew this country needed you. We listened to the radio, not knowing what to say. There was a chance you wouldn't return to me. The bus finally came to pick you up and we said goodbye. Night after night I dreamed of you and awoke crying. I always turned to you for comfort but you're not there beside me. I tried to live my life but I found I thought of you. I waited a year. The letters you sent went with mey every turn. On a cold October morning a black SUV rolled up. It wasn't you that stepped out but a diffent man. He told me you were missing, then left me on the steps. I couldn't believe it. My eyes cried but I was dazed. I sat alone on the steps. I couldn't move, my body didn't listen. Night after night I dreamed of you and awake crying. I always turned to you for comfort but your not there beside me. I tried to live my life but I found I thought of you. I'm a soldiers wife and death happens to everyone. I knew the game, I knew the players, but I didn't know the situation. Honey I loved you more than you will know. Sleep in peace wherever you are.