Mother figure

Ever since I was a kid, I have always wanted to do something important. I wanted to be the figures I’d seen in programs, like my own figure such as Steve Jobs; be my own boss and construct my own enterprise and have an established presence in the world and not just be any other labor worker on the streets. I wanted to be as caring and understanding as Mahatma Gandhi. I wanted to change lives in the same interpretation as Gandhi once quoted, “A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks he becomes” as well as one other quote which links to this one  ‘Be the change that you want to see in the world”. When you’re an only child, living with a single mother in a low-income residence city, home and everything else, everything seems impossible, the rest of the world is above me, and you have this mindset that when you get older you can do anything and everything I place my mind on and most especially with Gandhi’s mentality.Now that I am older, still nothing is simple, the world seems out of reach but with handles that I can grasp when in need, and I know life isn’t boundless but has many limits as still was before. There are times when I wish I could be a kid again, if only for a few minutes. I could go back to the time when my parents sheltered me from the harsh realities I faced growing up. I can remember the point in my life where I wasn’t a kid anymore, when a lot of things have changed, and I gained perspective on life. Once this day came, everything changed. I went from unknowing to becoming my own teacher and rock. I taught myself the harsh realities of humanity and truth we all live in and had to be my own shelter as only I know my leaps that had to be surpassed. When I was twelve was when I was told what my mother had gone through to get me where I am today. She threw around sugar coatings so I would not catch on, but all is discovered on the day. My mind immediately went back to my knowledge of outside countries such as my own Cuba. The harsh reality kicked in, and I realized what pressure my own mother had placed herself to bring me to the United States. We conversed and she told me everything, it took some time till that day came but everything was told. From her childhood with no father or mother to take care, comfort or strive her to her own success, to the times where she went to bed or a so-called bed at the time hungry, only nourished on a piece of old dried bread and sugar water to satisfy her hunger, only for the second. All the things she has done, have been for me and so I didn’t have to go through the same struggles she had to go through. My success and education was her number one priority, leaving everything else behind but me to give me that one chance of becoming someone and getting a proper education passed high school or in some of my other family members, middle school. The type of stuff that applied to her, she never wished would apply to me.

It wasn’t real to me what one woman can do for one person, the strength of a mother. It became very real the day I could offer her all her desires as a child. All commencing little by little, as last year I bought her, her very first doll, as the only ones she played with were with mops and brooms, and if not that she had to make her out of and rummages she found. I remember the face she had on that birthday night, absolutely priceless. I sat next to her, crossing my fingers, hoping everything would be what she wanted. I can still feel the goosebumps that covered my skin. She told me that was all she wanted but only can ask for one more thing, for me to become someone. Her telling me this influenced me, even more, to do the right in life and to uphold my promise to her.School became the most important. I didn’t see the point anymore in failure, having her as a figure was more than enough for me to try to succeed. School was always the second priority always coming after my own mother. Hard work and dedication paid off but managed to score well on tests. Not only did I try, but I enjoyed going to school as much as I could, making the experience as best as it could be.The number of times I was attending my extracurricular activities and maintaining my honors/AP courses, made my guidance counselor’s very proud in addition to everything else I was committed to. I have spent my high school career extremely seriously. I set goals so that I wouldn’t disappoint myself. Now that it counts and it matters, I pat myself on the back for taking the time to do my homework,  turning my projects in on time, because those little things have greatly changed my chances of getting into a good college or at least I hope so. The little decisions I made completely altered my chances of a college career.I am not saying my high school existence was a complete success. I did have hiccups along the way as no one is perfect. I had great experiences as well as atrocious ones. I made mistakes and poor choices that I learned from. Life has its ups and downs. Through it all, I managed to make friends whom I know will always be there and I am closer with my family than ever. I have achieved multiple scholarly awards. I have regrets that I know I can’t take back or change, so I focus on the present.

Right now, my focus is on getting into college; not only to make a good future for myself but for my mother, to make her proud instead of disappointed.

I want a chance to help make the world a better place, the opportunity to make a difference, and the privilege of having more than a high school diploma.