Everything I Can't Have

Wed, 11/20/2013 - 17:40 -- Jaye.

You can have the bigger slice of yellow birthday cake, and a sour little cousin who sports a look that says, Sleep with your eyes open tonight. 

You can have those lemonade days where you swing in the backyard, with the wind blowing your hair.

You can have that pair of shoes that don't carve into your heels, blessedly. 

You can have the time of now, with the surprise of a smile and rushed breathes of the moment.

You can have the loyal creek, that flows through the fallen gold, auburn, and emerald autumn leaves. A painting by Leslie Cope. 

You can’t have flawless skin, but you can have the scars of dear memories. What else are nature's tattoos?

You can have the drive of the heart, and the crash of forgiveness. You'll never forget.

You can have the soft hum of the woods as you sleep, the sweet sway of her hips.

You can learn the meaning of the word “love”, but it may be just that. A word.

You can take a sad song and make it better.

You can have the gift--curse--of voice, and begin to rebuild the bond between you two, You know who.

You can be whoever you wish,

You can have the ink to write your own story, watch it come to life, and watch it dance in the rain before your eyes. Throw up your hands and just feel the drops on your face, no one else can feel it for you.

You can have a daisy, she loves me, she loves me not. 

You can have the air we breathe, the clouds Angels dance upon, the sky that birds fly, For your taking.

You can have those sun-kissed days made better with rain, the flowers drink.

You can’t see the world through a mirror, but you can have the best friend to live it with.

You can have your secrets vaulted, and talk with the whisper of the breeze, and roar of the ocean.

You can have the sunset, be held in its gaze and politely stare.

Since the light keeps getting darker, you can just hold my hand. 

You can have the dream of Spain, that she will come back. 

You can’t have the beauty of the red rose, without the prick of the thorn. But, you can have the dandelion, whose seeds grant your every wish, for everything you can’t have.