Deadly Sin

Sometimes I envy selfish people.

I, myself, am a generally selfless person. A kind person. An empathetic individual who cares almost too much about others for her own good. I have always thought of my compassion as a good trait.

Lately, I’m starting to reconsider.

Some people say kindness is the strongest tool in your belt. If you’re kind, you can really change the world. People call you caring, compassionate, empathetic. Everyone loves you.

Well, not everyone. There are people who call you “too emotional,” “irrational,” “a pushover.” These are the people that the truly kind-hearted refer to as “cruel.”

Right-brained people always bash the left-brained, the logical, for not having emotions. It’s not that they don’t have emotions, it’s that they don’t let them show. The so-called “cold-hearted” people of this Earth are the ones who realize how destructive kindness can be.

Kindness can lead you to be naive, to trust far too much. People wear masks, friends will lie, love can be snatched away with the snap of a stranger’s fingers. Kindness, too much of it, can break you. If you wear your heart on your sleeve, it’s easy for someone to rip it right off.

The people we right-brained folk call “cold-hearted?” Psychologists define them as logical.

Ever think there might be a reason?