A Damning Protector

We drive on a road, going only one way.My mother takes the wheel, and I sit as the passenger. We drive on a road; for how long, I am unsure. Minutes, hours, days, months, decades, I lose track of the time.The only thoughts that fill my head are of the scenery outside of my window.  We drive on a road, of which I do not focus on. The landscape on her side does not interest me. I have never known of a sight other than this which I have gazed upon for an immeasurable amount of time. We drive on a road, and I begin to notice that my side changes naught.What else is there? I inquire, aiming to turn my vision to the other side of the car. She catches me, rolling my head back with a sweep of her hand. "Turn your eyes away. You mustn't look this way", she tells me.I abide by her request and feel my neck begin to cramp. Soon, I find that I can not move my muscles even if I wanted to. She drives down this road, never speaking of the wonders on the other side.  I am frightened now. I begin to shout, "Mother, help me! Are you there? Why must I not turn my head? I do not understand!"  I am broken out of my fit of hysteria by a loud honking noise. I turn my head quickly finding that my mother is gone, and I now take hold of the wheel. A loud screech fills my ears. I raise my eyes, looking out of her window, and am met with the sight of a dark world I had not known existed.  A vehicle crashes into me, and I am crushed by its weight. My journey ends.