Changes

Change is awesome. And I’m not talking about the unexpected little bonus found in an old pants pocket or a dusty jar, I’m talking about the world, far and wide and endless to a pair of new eyes. They say only death and taxes are inevitable, but they miss the connection: Change, from life to death, hand to fist, change is the global culture, connecting us even as it separates generation after generation, each defined by their changes. We progress, we grow, faster and faster and faster upwards like Icarus or the Tower of Babel, babbling on and on about the latest craze, in a daze we find ourselves wholly different from who we used to be, holiness discarded for rationality and that. Is. Awesome. We traded superstition for nuclear fission, witch burning for new learning, and upward we soar, above and beyond the dreams of our ancestors and the aspirations of our ambitious youth, because WE are more than the sum of our parts. The human organism is always changing, learning, improving, because there’s no I in team, but luckily, there’s me, and you, and together we are we, fluid and ever-changing amidst a world otherwise comfortable in her stagnation. Our ancestors looked to the horizon, and the stars, and so we went, colonizing the New World until it was old news, spreading like a plague of innovation, no man content until he had built a better mousetrap. We traveled 25,000 miles around our home, and 120,000 miles into space, and even now our message of hope burns its way past the planets and into the hearts and minds of all who have heard it: We will grow. We will progress. And one day, we will catch the horizon, and move beyond it, because there will always be another goalpost, another checkpoint, with humanity blazing into the universe, heads high. So give yourself a round of applause, because you are a human, and some days, there isn’t anything better to be.