The One I Lost

The stars are shining brightly as the warm wind brushes my hair slightly. My hand is in his and he breathes slow and swiftly. His eyes are closed but he is not sleeping. I look over to see his big and bright green eyes opening to look at me.

His hand moves over my fingers slightly as if to create an extra feeling of comfort. He blinks tiredly and slightly grins after staring at my face with wonder. He rolls over to look at me eye to eye. My eyes have never shown so green and I feel them want to cry.

I can feel my pupils open and close, grow and shrink as he uses his other hand to push back the short strand of extra hair in my face. As he does, he wraps his hand around my cheek and puts his fingers in my hair around my ear leaving little space.

He moves in closer. He closes his eyes and as do I. Then in an instant, all I can hear is music and our heart beats. Both beating as one.

I once again look up at the stars remembering this is not a dream. The warmth of his body channels energy that envelops mine. My lips still tingle as if millions of fuzz particles envelope my mouth. I look up to see that he is still smiling, only bigger this time. He seems happy. He seems unreal.

The familiar uncertainty vanished from his face leaving it at peace; leaving me at peace. It is like he has recited Annabel lee for the first time enveloping time with new meaning. I once again close my eyes and take in the sensations of my feelings. Of his words. Of his hand. Of him.

But what the thoughts of fear washes through my brain. What if I lose him? Surely we can't stay here forever, perfect. Can we? This picture will contort and burn eventually, destroying everything built. How can I stay at peace when this image is near. I open and close my eyes and the beautiful image is gone.

Fire and ash cover the hill where we once laid. He is enfolded in the fire of fear and misdemeanor. I stand in front of the scene and cringe while he screams my name from the flames.

My dress dragged the ground as I ran to his aid. Never have I seen him as scared as now. His green eyes now shine grey with fear and desire. I reach for his hand but the fire climbs above him. He desperately tries to break through the non living wall. I try to reach for him again but my dress burns and tears pulling me back with force. I cannot save him. He cries tears of purity much like that of an angel.

Quickly, he is swallowed in the pit of flame leaving me on the ash covered mountain alone. I drop to the stained ground and cried. I cried for me, for him, for our lost time. I weep for his hand in mine again, his face close to mine, and his green eyes that never winced or quivered at my soul not even once. The only person who understood me taken by the devil and his evil revenge for my happiness and reason to live.

I slowly stand up and carefully step toward the mountain’s ledge. My dress drags in shreds behind me. It's color of white and pink now charred black like the new hole that has now filled my heart.

At the edge of the mountain I slowly look down to reveal a pit I am unable to see through. I stand up straight and close my eyes. One more tear falls from my lashes and hits the ash on the ground. Wind now engulfs my body flowing my dress backward. I fall. Quickly. Silently.

With ease i rise but this time with white feathered wings attached to my open shoulders. I fly faster and faster toward the sky. My dress, no longer charred, tickles my pure skin which is also white like ivory.

I stop in between two clouds and I hear the sound of piano keys playing a familiar tune. The notes are pressed with care and sadness. I slowly rise above the last cloud.

His fingers of perfection tickle each note as he'd always wished. I stare unable to break my gaze. His head bobs with each movement and change in note. He stiffens as if he had remembered a bad dream and suddenly felt the fear jolt through him.

I step to the cloud and call his name. His head stiffens and slowly makes its way toward me. Eyes widen and he jumps from the bench for which he sat.

He throws his long arms around me and throws his head onto my shoulder where he cried. He looks back at my face and uses his hand to push back the short strand of extra hair in my face and as he does, he wraps his hand around my cheek once again and puts his fingers in my hair around my ear leaving little space.