Grow Up, Wise up

I was picking up trash on the beach, instead of laying out to tan.

I was reaching for my water bottle on the way to work, instead of the plastic bottles.

I was writing my own environmental column for the school newspaper.

I was cleaning up the beach again, and telling the locals to stop using straws and to cut soda rings in another language. 

I was buying from thrift stores before going to the mall. 

I have been seeing the word “sustainable” in stores and smiling every time.

There wasn’t a moment where I realized I was growing up, but there have been and still are many moments where I realize I am growing up FOR something. 

I am growing up for the sea turtles, making sure trash doesn’t harm them.

I am growing up for the albatross, and trying to keep bottle caps out of their stomachs. 

I am growing up for activism, so I can convince people that the Earth is our only home and should be respected as such.

I am growing up for the stingrays that still call overly-exploited and trash-ridden barrier islands home. 

I am growing up for deforestation to slow to a halt, for farming to take a step back and care for the Earth, not just its consumers.

I have been and always will be growing up to create a more sustainable future for myself and the generations to follow.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545}
p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545; min-height: 14.0px}