Try Hards

There's a stupid social stigma at this schoolIt has become apparent to me that trying hard is no longer coolYou can't imagine how many times I've been made fun ofFor doing homework during lunchOr studying on a weekendOr writing poetry for funLike somehow it's now a crime to do well in schoolThe minute your GPA exceeds a 4.0You're labeled as a “try hard”Like somehow your whole life can be judged by two numbersAnd a decimal point in betweenLike for some reason I'm not supposed to look up to the greats likeNewton, Einstein, AristotleThen who am I supposed to look up to?Because I’m sure as hell not going to look up to youAnd it's not just schoolIt's sports tooLike somehow if you stay after practiceJust to get a little better you're labeled as a “try hard”Now i’ll admit it Maybe I don't have the most skill or maybe I'm not naturally smartSo what? Am I just supposed to give up?I look around and see so much talentWasted talentAll for what? Just to look “cool”?And there's guys out there that won't take their girlfriends outThey won't go to dances with themLike somehow guys are too “cool” to try with their girlfriendsThey’d rather Netflix and chillAnd girls just kind of accept itBecause they think guys like that are “cool”The thing is I do everything I can to go to a great collegeI do everything I can to win a state championshipI do everything I can to be able to have a pretty girl on my armAnd I thought that at the end of the day I wouldn't have regretsBut I have so many regretsAnd then I look around again And all those people that don't careCouldn't be happier