Time

Time is a terrible thing.

There’s never enough and it never lasts long.

The clocks are all ticking, tocking their tick and I’m the second hand moving too fast as all the other hands around me seem to never move at all. How unfair. 

Everyone says, make the moment last, but how can I hold onto these beautiful moments in life, when the next moment’s coming straight at me like a meteor.  You can’t ignore a meteor.  You can’t ignore the future.  Try as I might, there are some things I will never remember. 

And not to force any sort of religion on you, but some greater being made life this way, so I ask why’d that being make our lives so insignificantly short? Why are we forced to cram as much as we can into-give or take- a century?  And might I even ask why we waste our lives on material things when we know in only a short amount of time we will be dust?

And let’s talk about those who never see their sixties, their forties, their twenties. Let’s talk about the illnesses we try so hard to avoid—don’t eat that, it has too many carcinogens in it—we try to convince ourselves that we are invincible when really we are as fragile as glass.  Breaking at the sound of our loved ones losing the battle of life.  We get sick from stepping into an elementary school covered in the germs and bacteria of ABC, passed through the tiny replicas of ourselves.  We break bones and bruise from only tripping.  Our hearts fall to pieces when we’ve lost a good friend.

But, time is a magnificent thing.

Though we can’t slow the hands on our internal clocks, we can count our blessings. 

1

2

3

…. They have to count for something.  We are given a life.  Lungs to breathe, a brain to think, a heart to feel.  How beautiful.

Yeah, everyone says make the moments last, and even thought it feels life is moving too fast for me to hold onto any of those moments, I can take pictures.  Snap shots of times that I enjoy, times that I hate. Try as I might, there are some things I will never forget.  There are some things I don’t want to forget.

Even if a higher being made our lives this short, I feel it was done for good reason.  We must learn that our lives are for ourselves.  We can do with what we are handed and create something new.  We must stop holding onto our cell phones and computers and start holding the hands of our friends and families.  

We don’t know when we will die.  We don’t know the cure to cancer. But what we do know is that we are only given a minute compared to infinite space that time seems to hold.  What will you do with yours?