Monarch

55720

Scars slither across my body. They tell a story; a tale of a land far away, where every single day is a fight for sanity. Undoubtedly, I ruled that land, sitting on my throne of tears. Wondering through the pain I repressed all those years. Silent screams tore through my chest, a constant torture never allowing me rest. If you knew of such a place would you run and hide, or keep faith by your side? Sick, sick of the endless feathery black abyss, not finding satisfaction in but a few moments bliss, I cried out. I tried to get out, but the guards were strong and my intentions false. Monster’s clawed hands scraped my skin, as I waited for the darkness to begin. Into the mirror I looked to see their leader, the one that kept me locked away in my tower. My advisory is my own. On and on we fight, far past the dawn of night. I cry out as I am struck, powerless I fall, knowing I can't fix it all. I turn to my queen; laughter comes out of her glass mouth, slicing my skin. Again she knows she'll win. I bow before my faults, allowing them yet another day to gain power over me, deciding who I am going to be.
I rise every morning and except defeat, for I am sure this villain I will never beat. She reaches out and kisses my cheek, only to remind me I am weak. Here in the land of distain there is no joy, only hate & pain. Again and again we replay this battle. Nevertheless, it is never I that’ll give in, and cease my attempt to win. For in her black eyes there is glimmer of fear that she tries to hide whenever I am near. I am her second-half, the missing piece of a whole, and without me…she has no soul. When I touch her skin she trembles. When I say her name she freezes. Yet she is the victor who comes and goes as she pleases. This dark ruler can be found in all those who’ve kissed the ground. Some never see the pale dawn while others strive seasons long. Hope and virtue shatter as pain becomes all that matters; sanctuary cannot be found as long as this battles tale is around. Smiles and tears coexist for years never faltering, but the rise of this leader is sweltering, and I cannot sweat this out. Throughout years of doubt a single thought rises to power, in attempt to save me from my dark tower. I hold the key, yet as does she.

RebeccaYSPerez

To you I tip my hat for many reasons, one of which being your ability to rhyme without giving up your meaning and making it seem childish- soemthing I cannot do. This piece was lovely, powerful and strong. "Laughter comes out of her glass mouth" is definitely one of my favorite phrases, it is very unique gives imagery I absolutely love. The last line hits the reader and leaves a haunting feeling over your shoulder. Great piece.

Rebecca