Memoir of Shelly

Being a poet doesn’t mean writing on paper. It’s the emotions that the writer displays for his or her audience. For anyone who cares to read or take the time to read what the writer has to say about a particular moment in time; that memory could be the happiest day of the writer’s life, or a brief grieving moment for loss or pain. A poet’s writings are his or her sequels to the inside of how the individual felt or once felt. Their passages are mini script shared with the world; possibly even a few select individuals or just for the poet’s safekeeping.

Writing is sacred, whether shared or not. Each thought, or emotion constructed to flow one sentence into another defines intonation of the phrases. Nobody feels the exact same thing nor will experience what another person will. Writing is unique and beautiful. Someone may do Poetry Out Loud or participate in poetry slams, but what that individual does is interprets another author’s poem. What we feel is what we feel. No one will be able to do see how we experience things. They may empathize, sympathize, or interpret one’s perspective on values, beliefs, and memories; however, they will never understand the way I feel about one thing and how they feel about another. Writing is important. It helps the person calm down and just think, and write until they run out of things to think about. It is beautiful how writing one’s thoughts could help relax, and sometimes a little anger or mixed emotion(s) before just breathing slowly without thinking about it.

Poetry is my escape. I get to express myself, to vent my worries or struggles, and to inspire others. I wouldn’t consider myself as a writer, but poetry is a form of writing with less restrictions. Poets are not judged on grammar like academic papers. Poets are free to add punctuations wherever he or she pleases.

I became a poet, so I could express all my emotions. Writing was my escape when I felt like I had no friends, family, other trusted adults, or God to listen to me. Every chance I got to record the events that happen throughout the day helps me to relax. Poetry was my friend when I felt like I had no one to talk to about my situations or worries. Poetry wouldn’t hurt me. It would listen to what I had to say, and sometimes that is all it takes. I don’t always need advice, but time to say what I have to say and sort my thoughts out.

I have always been writing for school and mail; however, this changed one day in middle school, around 8th grade. All the students went to the gym and listened to Ben Mikaelsen’s speech. He is the author for Touching Spirit Bear. It was very inspirational. He told us about how he got through as a kid. He wrote down everything whenever he felt happy, angry, or sad. Pillows didn’t help with how to destress or sort out thoughts. Eventually one day he just started writing. He got that idea from his mother. It helped him a lot, and he told us that writing might help us. It has helped me a ton over the years of going through school and today.