Me, Myself, and I

Tue, 01/03/2017 - 12:16 -- lbueche

It all started for me when I was around five years old. I remember walking into a large building with lots of colors and images of festivals, cities and monuments adorning the walls. Unfamiliar faces bustled around and their voices made sounds that I had never heard before. I was puzzled and scared. My mother took me over to a boy who looked like me but didn’t sound like me at all. I could hear the words coming out of his mouth but couldn’t understand them. I later discovered that he was trying to speak to me in Spanish. We became fast friends because we both shared an interest in soccer. By the end of the day, I had learned that I would be going to a school where I would learn both French and Spanish.

I didn’t understand why I was going to a school that taught me about other languages and cultures, since I am Indian-well, half anyway. My friends would ask “Dot or Feathers?” These questions confused me, and I started to feel like I wasn’t very connected with my true culture. Even though my mother and grandparents were surrounded by influences of American culture, they were able to preserve their Indian culture and instill its importance and uniqueness within me. The visits to the Hindu temple and its teachings provided me with a unique view. The lessons taught me to do the right thing all the time, respect my elders, welcome the ideas of all people, and be open to different situations. Religious ceremonies known as poojas, cricket matches, and delicious Indian meals at my grandparents’ house gave life to the Indian spirit inside of me. The aromas of daal or lentils, savory curries and saffron colorings of tikka masala awakened that spirit even more.
At home, the captivating fragrances of jambalaya, gumbo, fried catfish and sweet tea helped me begin to understand my father’s roots. My father’s southern culture and Native American (Cherokee) background taught me to embrace the rich history Louisiana has to offer; it has helped me learn important values such as respect, hospitality, and the meaning of family. Country music, seafood, and football are things that I grew up with from a young age. Over the years I developed a keen interest in them, from my Country CDs to the crawfish boils, tailgating at LSU games, and fishing trips with my Paw Paw.

At first glance the two cultures of my parents seem altogether different, but as I grew up I learned there are many aspects of the two that go together in concert. They both encourage the importance of being hospitable, expressing humanity, displaying empathy, and embracing unity. I have seen these same values in other cultures around the world through my travels to India, France, Italy, China, and Mexico. Not only was I able to use my fluent French and Spanish speaking abilities, but also learned about the different customs and traditions of each country. I have been fortunate to visit some of the most iconic landmarks, such as the Eiffel Tower, the Great Wall of China, and the Leaning Tower of Pisa; however, the subtle beauty of New Delhi, its adventurous rickshaw rides and delicious street foods, and the many ball games alongside concession stand hotdogs my father and I have shared back home are forever etched in my memory.

I am so proud to have grown up in a culturally diverse family and am thankful for the lessons I have learned having been exposed to many different customs. These experiences have instilled in me an openness to learn and appreciate differences among people.The many opportunities of exposure to others' ideas shaped my beliefs and customs in a positive way. So now when I am asked “Dot or Feathers?” I proudly say, “Both”.