Masked Beauty

What does a mask say about you? We hide ourselves under images of perfection constantly. We mask who we are to become who we dream of being. But a mask merely covers. It hides our beauty and conceals insecurities. The funny thing is that we mask ourselves to become more like those who are unmasked: the confident few. We parade around like it’s Mardi Gras and pretend we are carefree. But we all have our masks, decorated and twinkling, blinding others from our true selves. Sometimes we lift the mask, and people turn, they hide, they reject the reality underneath. But sometimes, we meet someone who lifts the mask for us and keeps it lifted. They do not flinch from the plain face underneath. Instead, they take the mask and crush it, tell us that they hate that mask. Tell us that our plain, insecure, uncovered self is the pinnacle of perfection. And yet, we tried to hide it all along. We all have that unmasking hero which pushes us to be like those whom we admired for so long. To take off the mask and be proud of the truth underneath. So is a mask a cover-up, or a test to find someone who can see the true beauty below?