Ignorance is Not Always Bliss.

35747

The First Amendment of the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging of the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petiton the Government for a redress of grievances."

This amendement was the first of many to be ratified on a document known as the Bill of Rights. In short, this amendment means that none of the three branches of government, judicial, legislative, nor exectutive, may establish a religion as the national religion, as well as none of the branches may interfere with those who practice their religion peacefully, regardless if governmental officials agree with it or not.

People say America was built from immigrants, however, that is not technically true, for America was settled and built by not just immigrants, but also refugees. The Pilgrims, escaping religious persecution from England, with the Puritans following shortly after less than 25 years later. Jamestown, our first settlement, began by those who were afraid for their lives because of their country, and unfortunately, that is still happening today. We, America, are refugees, only hoping to make a better life for ourselves, however, in the land of free, how are we not finding that anymore? When did America close their doors on those people who are peaceful, just as we were hoping for a better life less than 250 years ago.

In the words of Cluless, "there is no RSVP on the Statue of Liberty". How silly that may sound, it's true! Are we not to welcome our peaceful brothers and sisters of the world into our arms? It is our duty as humans, regardless of demographic, to help others. The basis of Christianity is to love your neighbor as yourself; when you welcome the stranger into your home, you welcome me, Jesus Christ.

You would think this would appeal to someone in office who is allegedly Presbyterian, however, that is not the case.

You say with the travel ban that there is no religous favoritism because we are banning all of their country, not just the Muslims. However, why were you only banning those 11 Muslim-majority countries?! And why were you, Donald Trump, planning on letting in Christian refugees first after the ban?! If it's because those countries are where ISIS is, then look around at our terrorist attacks in America lately! San Bernidino was Americans. Orlando Night Club was an American. Yes, there are some bad people in those countries, however there are some bad people in every country!

I am certainly not saying America is a bad country, oh no. The principles this nation was founded on were just. However, I suggest, Mr. President, before you make an exectuive order, you look at what is constitutional and what is not; and currently, this constitution is not being followed to it's upmost ability.

The United States is a nation built by refugees, for refugees. I am an inhabitant of this earth, first and foremost. I am a person. You are a person. We are all people of this earth, and I wish this view would not be tranished, but unfortunately, I don't think people realize that ignorance is not always bliss.

I wish I could end this with, "It's all going to be okay", however, I can't promise you that. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.