As I sit here safe in heaven

As I sit here safe in heaven

To many I am forgotten

Just a sad story from the past

but to those that love and lost me

the memories will always last

As I sit here safe in heaven

and watch you everyday

I try and let you know with signs

I never went away...

I hear you when your speaking

and watch you as you sleep

I even place my arms around you

to calm you as you weep

I see you wish the days away

as you beg to have me home

so I try and send you messages

that you are not alone

Dont feel guilty that you have a life

that was denied to me

oh, heaven is truely beautiful,

just you wait and see

Please live your life and laugh again

Enjoy yourself, be free!

Then I'll know with every breath you take

you're taking one for me...

by Hazel Birdsall

I wrote this for my late sister as far back as 2008, if not before.

I shared it online at the time and since then I have seen it copied and

shared thousands of times as 'author unknown' and used on memes and videos.

I am so glad it resonates with so many people however, recently another person

has been credited with this work, something as far as I am aware, started on her facebook

page (a Lisa Proffitt).  I have no idea who she is or how this happened but she is not the author

of this poem.

I just wanted to clarify that this work is mine (I have posts from 2008 to evidence this).

Jan Wienen

It is so beautiful ... Thank you ...

Krgarza

I saw this poem on Facebook and soon as I saw Unknown I started researching and found you. This same thing happened to my sister before her death. The difference is Your poem has not been registered by ANYONE with the US Copyright Office. I did a keyword search there with the second stanza and found nothing. It is easy and inexpensive to do. I think I paid $35 to register an essay I wrote. It took about 6 weeks to get my certificate from them. Please please please register this today!!! Anyone who shares poetry...please register it first before sharing with the world. I offer this advice in memory of my sister. The catch with the copyright office is it doesn't matter if you have proof of it before them. They can write it in a notebook and pick some random date and claim any work that's not registered. I wish you the best and look forward to seeing your name on this poem in 1000 stores!!!

vonniedonny

Hazel, my name is Yvonne and I'd love to use your beautiful poem in my book about Grief. I am so sorry that it is being published constantly wihtout your permisson. Please contact me if you get this message. Thank you 

rositardiaz_13

Beautiful.. I lost my son to suicide on 25/5/2018 your poem gives me a little bit of peace 💕 thank you 🙏 

rjflores

Hazel, we would love to give you credit on a campaign we will be launhing to benefit children with cancer. Please let me know how to reach you.

Best,

Ricky

shinycoin

Hello there!

I have searched high and low to find the author of this poem

I recently lost my grandmother and this poem is helping me so much.

I would like to ask for permission to use this poem to create memorial cards

for those who lost their loved one. Hope to hear from you. 

Lorna Katz

Dear Hazel Birdsall,

July 26, 2017 is a day that will be on my heart and mind forever. On that day I lost my oldest daughter to suicide. Even though she knew the Lord, her struggles with her mental illness overwhelmed her.

Your poem touched me deeply. I feel as though the words in your poem is what my daughter Jenny is saying to me now. She was 32 years old when she died.

I would very much like to incorporate your poem into a choral piece. Shortly after my daughter's death, I composed a piece called, "My Grief," an outpouring of my soul of my loss. Your poem, "As I Sit In Heaven," is the perfect answer to "My Grief," my daughter speaking to me through your words. I am a 61 year old woman who is completing my Masters degree in Music Theory and Composition.

May I please have your permission in the use of your poem as the lyrics to my composition? If you require compensation, please let me know.

Thank you for your beautiful poem and God bless you!

In harmony,
Lorna Katz

Lorna Katz

Dear Hazel Birdsall,

In harmony,
Lorna Katz