I Have Learned to Wake Up

I Have Learned to Wake Up©2013 Jai

I have learned to wake up every morning being proud of who I am, marveling my successes and not fretting my failed goals; moving up north with the wind, rather than down south with the back draft

I have learned to wake up every morning accepting my brown skin, accepting the blemishes on my face, and the scars across my body, for they all show living and experience

I have learned to wake up every morning accepting the structure of my teeth, the shape of my eyes, the fullness and shape of my lips, because they show a part of me

I have learned to wake up every morning accepting the fullness of my breasts, the slim of my waist, the slim of my hips, and the light weight of my hips because it all shows my Natural growth, physically

I have learned to wake up accepting my height because though I  am not very tall, I know my knowledge and wisdom far exceeds my 5ft few inch frame and those attributes continue to grow

I have learned to wake up every morning accepting my natural naps, kinks, and coils of my hair because they are All a part of ME; style, character, race, and not  shadow of who I want to be and not following society's ideas of beauty

In the words of India Arie, "..I am not the average girl from your video...I am not my hair, I am not  skin, I am Not Your expectations, I am a  soul that lives within...and a Woman isn't what she is but what she knows".

Confirmed by Dr. Maya Angelou, "I AM a Woman, Phenomenally; Phenomenal , that Me"

Jharvey89

Poem created when I was 24. Influenced by the adversity of self that media can cause amongst many young ppl; expanding their ideas of what is considered beauty. Contributing to low self esteem and insecurity. I personally experienced feelings of insecurity as a young woman and I sometimes right poems and prose of encouragement to motivate me.