I Can't Sleep

I can't sleep

Because my insomnia is due to the fact that women are slaves to the ever-demanding media,

Because beauty is no longer in the eye of the beholder but instead placed in the eye of the advertisement for the smallest size that is held on such a high pedestal,

Because a male comedian was on my television trying to make humor out of his first bout with masturbation and I immediately wondered what would happen if a woman attempted to joke about the same thing,

Because men can be free with their sexuality and their right to speak openly about it, 

Because it is frowned upon for a woman to think her body is beautiful in any way, shape, or form, and her ability to use it however she wants,

Because in this esteemed and great nation our fate rests in the hands of a white republican with a completely different reproductive organ than ours, or a magazine brimming with photo shopped models,

Because my anger revealed in my words is most commonly known as "that time of the month",

Because there are women in this world who honest to god feel as though they don't deserve to be loved unless they drop sizes,

Because our body image solely revolves around the standards men destroy us with,

Because there are problems within gender roles that people shrug off and cloak with words like equality and fairness,

Because how can you be so blind to notice the girls who don't eat while their insecurities eat away at them,

Because many will never see the error of their ways no matter how many times they are proven incorrect,

Because I am a woman in a world where I am constantly compared, put down, and conformed to believe that my worth is stored in my fat cells and my appeal to men,

Because I know that every woman out there, along with myself, are all so much more than that.

holleee0912

A poem I wrote late one night after tossing and turning over the issue portrayed.