He’s not Heavy, He’s my Brother

Wed, 01/29/2014 - 11:07 -- jstanke

Brotherhood is not heavy.

Brotherhood is not something you walk away from.

Brotherhood is like a covalent bond that is nearly inseparable. It is up to a brother to uphold his end of the bond, for he has to make sure it is strong.

The bond between brothers is a special kind of connection, and only certain members are allowed into the tree house. And if someone were to fall, I’d be there to catch them through it all.

Brotherhood is not heavy.

Brotherhood is not like carrying a load on your shoulders. It is more like giving your little brother a piggyback ride, because he’s too tired to walk at the zoo.

I have brothers for a reason; they are here to annoy me, exasperate me, aggravate me, get in my way, provoke me, get me in trouble, and rat me out; but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

My two brothers can be as annoying as a mosquito bite itching constantly. But eventually the bite disappears, and the annoying itch is gone.

It’s not easy to play football with just one, but when you add two and three, it can be a lot of fun. And that football has seen its better days; it’s sure getting up there in age. Basketball becomes boring with no one around, but when you add a second and a third, it can be quite amusing I’ve found. I’m not a big fan of playing catch alone, but looking back on the years, we sure have grown.

It snowed last winter for a while. I had built the perfect snowman. He was perfectly shaped standing four feet tall and not too fat if you know what I mean. Unfortunately, as perfect as it was, my brother knocked it down, so I knocked him down. We exchanged word after word and snowball after snowball, and he’s still a little bugger after all.

Having a brother or two means I’ll never have to suffer from only child syndrome. It also means that I am constantly in the middle of a challenging game. Sometimes I may fall behind and start losing, but other times I’ll bounce back and take the lead. One thing I am sure of is I never want to stop playing.

Brotherhood is not heavy.

A brother is a best friend. A brother is somewhat of a tag along and a pain in the neck to be honest. But through it all, he’s pretty cool to have around.

Brotherhood is never heavy. Brotherhood is sometimes difficult to explain because those who aren’t a part of it can never fully understand it.

Brotherhood is like being a superhero. I stand pretty tall and someone is always looking up to me, but to me, being a brother is better than being a superhero.

Brotherhood is not heavy. It is the countless ball games, the bumps and the bruises, and the kicking and screaming that stands out to me. It’s the stories told and the memories made, the smell of the grill and the smell of the pool that just screams of summertime. I thank God he gave me two, because without them, I don’t know what I would do.