The Fortress: A Story of Ebb and Flow

You're down because you've been changing in ways you had never hoped nor planned

The years have gone by and as you look back you scrutinize your mistakes that you can't stand

You rough yourself up for blindly giving trust and hope to those who would come to betray

Or lament the loss of goodness in relationships where you may have made the mistake

It hurts and it pangs and it strings everyday until on paper or ears the truth falls

The worst part you'd say is you feel you've lost sight of how to move on from it all

You keep peeling and pasting and trying to improve not taking enough time to see

That everyone else may have those feelings too so you claim you belong living lonely

That box that you've made has elementary walls compared to the fortress surrounding your heart

Take the time to go in with your weapon of choice or be gentle with you is where you'll start

You've been doing so well though you only believe that hell's what others see in you

It's just your regret , without that you'd forget how to move forward to you anew

Tear down your fortress and heal it with salve, the ebbs and the flows transform

Soon you'll feel how all is not done, you've grown quite beautiful 

Your bricks and stone lay flat above emotions so deep you've ignored

Doesn't this feel better? You can see yourself now just as you did before

Your heart still beats. Love is still your gift. It has never gone away.

The lies you've believed as you've been angered and grieved built those walls to help you feel safe

Don't be too ashamed or tear yourself down in blame. It happens to use all sometimes

Remember these words when you've dipped too low and life seems too heavy next time