Dreams of Dark Skin

Tue, 12/22/2015 - 18:59 -- efree24

My dark skin isn't a sin.

Your perception of my obscure color is what you have within, and when I look at my reflection, I'm in love with my complexion.

I am No longer tragically colored by the paper bags of the past, because I'm free at last.

My shades of brown and black shines radiant compared to what many call beautiful.

No longer feeling ashamed of my skin, but I embrace it with love.

Words that were spoken to me when I was younger about my skin never damaged me, but they gave me a motive.

A motive to conquer, and strive for greatness.

Tar Baby,Tar Baby, that's what you are, but little did y'all know that I'm a star just beginning to shine.

I am not confined to the box that stereotypes place me in. I am amorphous, having no definite shape or form.  My dreams are valid, not deferred. I have Dreams that seep out my head like a gas, and ascend to the sky, expanding like a gas would in open sky, and I know that that expanded dream came out of my mind.  Some of dreams make me fathom, is this even possible in the future?

I dream that in the minds of society that I am no longer cased in some type of pretense of a mental "ghetto".

Dreaming That the assumption of just because he's black means he sells crack is negated.

I wish that I could walk down the street peacefully without being shot at by my fellow brothers or without joining the faces of the many subjected to police brutality.

I refuse to become a number, a statistic, or another cold body laying out in the street.

I will not be fitted into a percentile.

Why can't I become an accomplishment, a honor graduate, or a lawyer?

One day, I want to reach my full potential.

Many cannot breathe because they are bound with negativity yolked around their necks, restricting breath to come out, saying, "I can't breathe".

In order to become anything you want, you must think positive.

If Positivity surrounds our minds, then we will breathe.

Today I breathe. Tomorrow I aspire.

Midnight Kills

I love this.