Confession of a Dark Skinned Girl

Confession of a Dark Skinned Girl

In 90secs

By: Josee S. Etienne

Her name is uniquely faithful but comes off unwanted

Her birthplace off of the map leaving her voice far far away from conceited

Her skin darker than dark, making her camouflage along with the suicidal thoughts

Her love for herself bitter than most

Her soul of happiness found at a cost

Her need of affection hidden, and buried

Self-happiness secondary

The words “you`re pretty for a black girl” triggers her mind like a never ending song

Her hair rough, kinky, and she cuts it as often as possible never letting it grow long

She tries so hard to hide it, making mirrors her biggest fear

Afraid of the world finding out her hatred for herself is still a mere.

Her skin was a reminder that only the poor gets dark

Because hard work under the Sun never came off as pride

Leaving her to believe that a dark skin, can never be a bride.

She puts herself in third person always, because she would hate to narrate her own story

She runs away from the idea of happiness, instead she admire the self -hate just as gory.

But can you blame her, she was told instead of loving a skin that glows like the sterling night

She should abhor a skin that has no political right.

I don’t wanna talk right now, cause I`m sorta faded, I wouldn`t want to love right cause I`m kinda jaded.

Because being dark in this society, doesn`t make you a person. It makes you a minority.

Instead of a skin color that symbolizes a naturally occurring human skin color

It’s a skin that needs more exposure, more composure, and in need of a chauffeur.

Because being dark, always means we`re not enough. Just like I wasn`t good enough for you.

I`m just another dark skinned girl, waiting for it all to cease. It`s no longer judging If it`s already embedded in your heads, body and burdens.

Confession of a dark skinned in 90seconds means; make it stop!

Lexus3h

Beautiful poem!