Change is beautiful

Fri, 03/03/2017 - 14:08 -- Leida

From a young age mom taught me that the only race in this planet was the human race (positive, factual).She looked me in the eyes and said, “never judge someone because of the color of their skin, but instead celebrate the differences we bring.”So I always woke up with a smile, and listened as a president brought “change we can believe in.” (channel Obama)He brought hope and showed that we are “Greater Together” and for a time, that was enough. (become soft)But change can go both ways. People change, parties change, and presidents. They change too.They say we need to “Make America Great Again,” like we haven’t been trying for the past 63 years to overcome the ignorance that separates us.That put us in different schools.Different bathrooms.Different parts of a bus.(pause)But difference can be beautiful, and can alter who we are.Difference brought us Martin Luther King Jr,who said “Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”That inspired strength, and that difference made Black Panthers bare their fangs and roar for justice.It made people listen. And when people listen, they can change.They can dream. (pause) I have a dream.That dream is to fight discrimination, to celebrate who I am. Who you are. Who we are.To remember that change took something from us, so we need to change to bring it back. Because when times are low, we must go high.So today I am here to remember the Civil Rights activist Martin Luther King Jr., who fought for what the peace we have today.I can't imagine living in a world where there is so much hate against people of color, and neither could Martin Luther King Jr. So he didn’t.There will always be discrimination, but if we all come together I know there will be a change. If we stand up together, fight together, have our voices heard together, we will overcome that change, because “we’re stronger together.”