All Eyes on Me

Birth

We moved from the part of town with the thugs and gangsters to the part with front yards and mailboxes

One

My father was a taxi driver so whenever he would come home I would ask him who he met today

Two

I learned to kick a soccer ball, but mommy said never into Mr. Mike’s lawn

Three

My dad lost his job today. I heard him tell my mom that his boss couldn’t keep employing a Muslim at a time like this

Four

My birthday party was fun; I just wish Marissa’s parents would let her come

Five

I made a new friend today. She told me we could only be school friends though, her mom didn’t like Muslims. With that  was okay with that

Six

Ms. Johnson asked what 9/11 was. I didn’t know.  Josh pointed at me and said it was my fault. Ms. Johnson and my class started laughing so I did too. Josh is so silly

Seven

I decided to start wearing my hijab just like my mom; she says god will bless me in the long run, I might not see it but it will come eventually she told me.

Eight

Someone yanked my hijab off today and called me a terrorist, everyone laughed.  I cried non-stop in the bathroom stall, thinking about what my mom would say

Nine

Some new black people moved in next door, but Emily and Cindy had U-Haul packing everything in their house from the ceiling to the floor

Ten

At recess today someone spit in my face and told me to “go back home.” I told my teacher and she said “maybe you should sit out during recess tomorrow, for your safety that is.”

Eleven

We got pulled over today. My father forgot to turn his right blinker off. The police shook him down just in case he had any explosives. Why would they assume that?

Twelve

My mom explained to me the dangers of talking back to police. “No standing in group with your other Muslim friends.” “It might look suspicious.”

Thirteen

My math teacher told me that I didn’t have to wear the “durag” on my head anymore, that I was safe here. As if I was being forced to. I took it off.

Fourteen

On the news, another unarmed black boy was shot by the police today. Why don’t these boys just listen?

Fifteen

I was followed around Walmart today. I was told that it looked like I hid some chips in my scarf. I guess they just want to be safe

Sixteen

Donald Trump is running for president. He doesn’t want me here and neither does anyone else. It would be best for everyone if I me and my family would just disappear.

One, two, three, all eyes on me.