What do you think of when you hear the word spirituality? Nature? Religion? Yoga? There’s no one definition of spirituality, because it can differ for every person. Here are some spiritual poems from our Power Poets. Read on to find out how you can express your own spirituality through your poetry.
- History. The term “spirit” comes from the Latin word “spiritus” which translates to: soul, courage, vigor, and breath. The idea is that spirituality connects the body and soul with the world. Anytime you’re doing something that reconnects you with this idea of spirit (like writing poetry), you’re being spiritual.
- Religion. Many people turn to religion in order to find spirituality, because this can bring personal happiness while connecting to the past, the world around us, and/or help people set out on a path they’d like to follow. If religion factors into your own spirituality, write about how religion makes you feel spiritual (and why). If there’s a specific passage in a religious text or prayer that help you feel connected to your religion/spirituality, try incorporating it into your works.
- Nature. Being spiritual may also mean being at peace with the world around you. Is there a special place you go to (maybe to feel zen)? Write about what this place looks like, where it is, and why it resonates with you. Maybe you like to sit and soak up the sunshine, or you find that exercise helps calm you. Check out this tip guide for some ideas about writing about your surroundings. Lots of famous poets like Ralph Waldo Emerson and William Wordsworth write about their connection to nature and spirituality. You just might have something in common!
- Music. Beethoven said "music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." Does listening to music (creating your own) help you to wind down? This may be your spiritual outlet! Write a poem about why music is such a huge part of your life: maybe it opens new doors for you, or changes your perspective on the world. If you need guidance on writing about music, check out this guide for some tips.
- Post it. Share your spiritual poem on Power Poetry to inspire others to find spirituality in new places.