This scholarship slam is closed! We are no longer accepting submissions, but we have several other open scholarships.
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.”
This famous quote from The Wizard of Oz reminds us that people tend to hide their true selves behind some version of smoke and mirrors. In honor of the film’s 75th anniversary, we’re asking you: Do you hide behind a curtain, or a mask of sorts? Who are you internally versus the person you present to everyone else?
Write a poem about the true you, and what’s preventing you from pulling back the curtain so everyone can see too, for your chance to win $1,000 for your college education. Need a boost to get started? Check out our tip and action guides for ideas.
HOW TO APPLY
- Make sure you're eligible by checking out our FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) and the contest rules. Basic requirements? (1) 25 years of age (or younger), (2) a current or former high school student who will attend/is attending college within the U.S. or its territories, and, (3) a submitted original poem with the poetry slam tag Slam Behind the Curtain.
- Become a Power Poet by registering to be a part of our community.
- Check out this blog post that describes how we pick our scholarship winners.
- Look at previous winners, Action Guides, Tip Guides and other poems for inspiration.
- Add an original poem to Power Poetry by November 30, 2014.
- Check out our FAQ if you have any questions about the contest.