Before your eyes

I wish there was someone who looked at my stretchmarks the way I look at photos of tributaries with mystical longing of touch. I wish someone could love my scars as if they were the last remnants of Hiroshima as if i were the shadow of a body on concrete and the explosion of my heart left me behind. I wonder if anyone could ever look at me and not see a girl but a train track built in sweat and blood held together with nails and splinters.

Tucked in my bed I wish my body wasn’t my body but a scene from a 1980’s chick flick beckoning meaning and not flesh and fat. I give a token of love under my nail beds as dirty as my thoughts. I wish there was someone who could look at the freckle on my lip and believe it was the x on a treasure map. I wish someone was there to flip through my pages and be intrigued the way i was blown away by twilight in the 7th grade. I wonder if someone could ever look at my acne and think of the stars and how maybe it adds twinkle to my face. I wish someone would see my premature wrinkles and approach them as if they were indentations on a pie crust, added for pizazz. I wish someone would look at the darkness under my eyes and notice that purple rarely occurs in nature and revels in its beauty. I wonder if someone will ever feel the hair on the tops of my fingers and hope it will be a trait passed down.

Imperfection is impossible, if you look at something long enough it can change right before your eyes but finding the beauty in the little shifts of reality is something uneasy to grasp. You do not need to pave a road to get from one place to the next an easy transit cuts you out of the scenic route. If someone points out a social norm that you lack do not trust that something is wrong, Look at yourself long enough in the mirror and your big fat nose will no longer be a big fat nose it will look like a sturdy pipe untainted by a plumbers grip. Someone may never look at you and believe you are beautiful if you do not first believe it yourself. Your coffee stained teeth were worn by good mornings and how do you do’s, so please do not let your yellow smile grace the presence of someone who does not see its value.