Young Love

Your name flowing off of my tongue tastes the way water does after my heart’s been poured out onto a basketball court.

Your smile makes my soul melt inside of my chest and I can’t help but stare in awe because I ended up so lucky and you ended up oblivious.

When I think of love, I think of the way the sun looks when it comes up in the morning after I’ve spent all night with you. When I think of love, I see myself in the passenger’s seat of a Bronco with my dirty feet on the dashboard as country music etches itself into my brain whether I want it to or not.

People must think I’m crazy for being so crazy about you.
People must look at me and shake their heads, because 19 doesn’t know what love is and distance isn’t our best friend. 

But you give me hope and proving them wrong gives me drive. You make me want to be the best version of myself that I can possibly be, for you. Because you deserve nothing less than wonderful. You deserve so much more than this stitched up heart I’ve been wearing on my sleeve.

The possibility of calling you mine until the day that I close my eyes and see Jesus for the first time makes me want to do everything in my power to keep you around. 

"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." I couldn’t doubt the validity of this love even if I tried, because I am selfish and I am stubborn and I treat people as if they were put on this earth for my benefit, but when I look at you I am a slave to your beautiful heart, completely wrapped around your finger.

I am yours in every sense. Incessantly. In love.