Wide Eyes

Georgia Southern

There are so many things to see in such a small amount of time,

So many things to know, experience, and interpret in such a small period of life.

And I find myself running in circles, from place to place, hour to hour,

Trying my best just to breathe, while I look, while I think, while I interpret these "things" in my mind.

But only at night, when I finally close my eyes, do they actually become opened wide.

In the long, silent moments before I sleep I finally experience what it's like to dream,

Exploring for hours, minutes, sometimes only seconds, my meaning of what it's like to truly be alive.

As every sensation and memory of the past floods the cavities of my mind, I realize suddenly,

Everything I am, everything I was, and everything I wish to be...

Everything I've had, everything I have, and the things I'll want eventually.

And in such a simple moment of time, such a simple process of mentality,

Life becomes a blissfully obvious, peaceful, inevitable uncertainty.

But somewhere between, the realms of the unconscious and conscious states of mind,

My wide eyed knowlegde becomes undefined.

And with the beginning of daylight, the memories of everyday life once more arrive;

The work, the tests; all the trials of human society somehow competely leave my cavities dry,

And I find myself runnng in circles, from place to place, hour to hour,

Trying my best just to breathe while I look, while I think, while I interpret these "things" in my mind.