Where I'm From

“Where I’m From”  by Amaya Castillo

I am from inssence, from candles, and the warmth that they give off. 

I am from the lively, bustling, cozy homes we’ve made our own over the years. 

I am from the roses crumbling in the corner of rooms, because gifts are somethings that are hard to let go.

I am from pozole on New Year’s Eve and tamales on Christmas Eve from Martha Mayon, Angie Mayon, and Deena Mayon. 

I am from the craziness and stubborn ways of my family.

I am from baptized catholics, but raised Christians, which is something i still find hard to understand. 

I am from the barrios of San Diego and Orange County, but raised in the suburbs of Corona. 

I am from the rehabilitation of alcohol of my father, the escaped abuse of my mother, and single parenting my grandma had to go through with her

I am from the five inch photo albums my grandma keeps under her bed, the only pictures that exist of my mom and her siblings when she was just as young as me, a reminder that if she  can smile through the even tougher times she went throught at my age, then i can to. 

I am from  what people call now the ghetto, a family full of people who use drugs as an excuse to get away from the pain, a recovering drug user who still falls

I am from an alcoholic, physical and mental abuse, a dad who was just trying to get better, but got too sick in the end

I am from 6 siblings who are all older than me, yet still look up to me when mom is sick and they are lostI am from a family still trying to find their way out of their head, mental illness, and addiction

I am from a family full of fighters, lovers and druggies, some who are all those three at once

I am from love

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Times New Roman'; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000}
span.s1 {font-kerning: none}