Where I'm From

I am from the brown house with the dead end sign in the little cul-de-sac.

I am from the hick totn with the big man who beat Cujo with his beautiful wife, just down the street from a hoarder's daughter and a man whose grass always seemed inexplicably tall.

I am from the Island between two rivers with the nice boys who pushed my head forward before class and would hoist my binder just above reach.

I am from throwing rocks in the air, selling pictures in our cul-de-sac in what can now only be dubbed expert entrepeneurialism.

I am from happiness, where I laughed, played, loved and lived amongst faimily and friends.

I am from misery, where stresses and self loathing create personal hell in everyday reality.

I am from the hospital, I.V. in one arm giant green puke condom in the other begging "water please, I can handle it.", because I am from panic.

I am from anxiety, depression, nervous twitches and muffled sobs on repeat every night living through the memories on the pillows I slept on.

I am from betterance. I am from being too strong for too long.

I am from strength, where gender roles do not define the woman I have become, patriarchy is revered as the idiocy it is and women define who they are not their gender.

I am from society, but society cannot define me.