When Will We Stand

Ever wonder what it would be likeIf people could be who they are?To live free instead of living behindThe mask of society in which they live!Ever wonder what it would be likeFor people to realize that love is love?To live without fear of being judgedBy the color of their skin or sexuality preferences!Ever wonder what it would be likeIf we had leaders that understood?That living off minimum wage is not possibleFor a family of two even without kids!Ever wonder what our childhood could have been likeIf we could tell our parents everything we go through?Without the fear of being misunderstoodAnd to just have them love us unconditionally!The world we live in is a mess Full of anger, hate, and stress and fear of tomorrowKids worrying about where their next meal will come fromOr if they will lose their home and get put out for being gayThe world we live in is full of simple minded individuals That cannot know what it feels like to walk in someone else’s shoes because they refuse to wear them! This world we live in is stuck in the past not the futureTechnology reins but old practices stay the sameThey just evolve into a different form but yet still the same The world we live in is materialistic People care more about what kind of purse they are carryingInstead of being a shoulder to cry on for people who might just need a break What happened to loving one another?What happened to the land of the free? I refuse to be part of a society that thinks its wrong for me to be me Maybe one day a perfect world will exist but until then,I guess we have to strap in to this roller coaster called lifeHoping the what ifs won’t actually be a myth but be realityMaybe one day children wont have to hide behind a maskTo convince their parents that they are straight just for them to feel normal Maybe one day that girl who thought she had no one Would have a support system instead of taking her own life just to silence the pain Maybe one day we wont fear or hate each otherBecause of the things in the past that happenedMaybe one day people will have an open mind Instead of killing our fellow man because of who they love or the color of their skinWhat happened to writing letters and staying in touch with people that we care about? Oh yea, we stare at screens now and hope we get a text back!What happened to having fun and living life?Oh yea, we are worried about the almighty dollarAnd fitting into the box society wants us to be in!What happened to just being a kid? Oh yea, we are forced to grow up bearing our parents burdens with Raging hormones, and being popular!!What happened to being yourself? Oh yea, society deems it inappropriate and demands that you be silenced!What happened to standing up for what you believe inAnd getting something done about it? Oh yea, some feel that violence is necessary to get our point across “Like that ever works” One day we will see all our actions have consequencesThe youth see and replicate everything they seeSo why do we choose to repeat the past instead of paving a future?Why don’t we encourage people to raise awareness?Instead of sitting on our hands hoping someone else will stand upWhy don’t we set an example we wish more people set for us?Instead of repeating everything we said we wouldn’tI hope one day someone else will have a dream And fight for it just as hard as MLK. I hope one day someone challenges us to stand up for ourselves Like Maya Angelou did with her poetry.I also hope that people will actually feelAs if they have a say so instead of staying in the backStand up like Rosa, Fight like Harvey Milk, dream like MLK, And most of all be yourself Because if you can’t be yourself what other choices do you have?Be a dreamer, be a believer, don’t be afraid to live your life.Dare to be different, and stand up and fight for what you believe in IT STARTS WITH US!!!!!!!!!