Sick and Tired

Mon, 12/19/2016 - 07:06 -- NellaJ

I'm sick and tired
I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired
I'm sick and tired of turning on the news to see innocent people being hurt
I'm sick and tired of America's front-runner for the presidency being exactly what the people that forged this country went against
I'm sick and tired of black empowerment only coming from oppression
I'm sick and tired of the same black folk that talk about making change, only talk
I'm sick and tired of black lives matter just applying to when other races kill us
I'm sick and tired of us killing us
I'm sick and tired of pro athletes and rappers being the greatest role models for minority youth
I'm sick and tired of young black men wanting to learn how to sell dope but not learn "A" squared plus "B" squared equals "C" squared, that you can Affect the Effect, or how to master the independent and dependent clause
I'm sick and tired of young men, not just black men, falling into the hands of gangs
I'm sick and tired of having heartbroken mother's who blame themselves for their children falling victim to the lure of gang life
I'm sick and tired of the schools that failed those kids
I'm sick and tired of the state that failed that school
I'm sick and tired of the budget that puts those at risk communities last because they're at risk, also being the very reason they're still at risk
I'm sick and tired of politicians wondering why those places are so poor and at risk, making judgments about those who pray for the bottom dollar while walking around with black holes for wallets
Sick and tired of politicians handing out spoons full of sugar to help the policies go down
Sick of the sugar-coated campaign promises that will never be fulfilled
Tired of not knowing where else to turn to fix things
I'm sick and tired of being scared of the thin blue line
I'm sick and tired of being scared of the red and blue gangs
Sick and tired of the politicians who just want them to go away without doing any of the work
Sick and tired of being the one who could have guns pointed at him from both brown or blue, for just being suspected
I'm sick and tired of young black men wanting there to be change without putting in the work
I'm sick and tired of people just wanting to stop talk about racism like that will make it magically disappear
Like the silence helped Tom and Jerry get over how much I'm wanted to devour Jerry for years and still wanted to at any cost
I'm sick of seeing my brothers limit themselves to the sky when they could put footprints on Mars
Sick of telling people why I'm sick and tired, just to tell them again and again and again and again
Tired of explaining why people shouldn't just take it
I don't wanna be one of the only one of my brothers who make it
I want my brothers to eliminate the word minority in the ivy league
I want my black empowerment to extend beyond oppression
I want it to mean that we are empowering ourselves as well as others
I want it to mean that people stop defiling the rights and privileges that their ancestors died to get
I want my brothers to stop killing ourselves just for living too far in one direction
I want my brothers to never have to sell drugs to feed their families
I want my brothers to never have to quit school because they don't think they're good enough
I want our teachers to never give up on our youth even when they five up on themselves
I want these words to convince at least one person to be a better version of themselves
I want intelligence to be praised and nurtured not traded in for drugs, bullet wounds, or gravestones
Cause I'm sick and tired of what has been done to us and what we've done to ourselves
Sick of white beating down brown, tired blue beating down brown, sick and tired of brown beating down brown
Until there's a star-spangled banner of red necks, white privilege, and blue line spilled blood that stains the streets
I am sick and tired of being sick and tired but by now, I guess you are too
But not about what I'm saying, you're probably sick and tired of hearing of hearing me complain
But if I asked you what you were going to do to change any of what I just said, would you even have an answer?
Would you even know where to start?
I'm sick and tired of this mess, that's why I'm telling you now
Knowledge is power and ignoring these things means given up yours
I'm sick and tired of this, and if you're sick and tired too,
Work with your brother so we can find out what the fuck we need to do
Cause I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired
What about you?