Shades of Life

I know people have fears, some people are scared of bugs such as bees or butterflies. Some people are horrified of heights. Others are petrified by planes and believe it or not frightened of their own feet. People can be scared of absolutely anything.

Children are usually scared of having a beast under their bed or having a clown in their closet. They have mom and dad check their room before they go in.

When you are a kid, it seems as though your bed is the safest place to be. Nothing can hurt you under the security of your sheets and the protection of your pillows. All those repulsive thoughts go away. Nothing is really scary to you anymore. All those devils and demons are simply silly little thoughts that slipped away from you some where along the line. 

Most of those thoughts did slip away from me. But, one monster still follows me and seems impossible to escape. In the night it latches on like a leach sucking my blood. I pull it off during the day, but the head still remains and grows back as the sun fades. It is a crow who's wingspan engulfs the world and there is nothing I can do to get away from it. I can turn a light on, but it is still there, slithering through the slits of the blinds on my bedroom windows or creeping closer through the crack in the door. I am scared of the dark. I am afraid of its obsidian abyss that occupies a room in a matter of seconds. I turn the light off and feel my breath being blown away. I lay down, and its blackness starts crushing my body. I feel defeated. I feel weak. I feel vulnerable. I feel like all hope just disappears, but I remind myself it hasn't. I remind myself that morning will come and the sun will shine and happiness will fill the earth and everything will be okay. I am scared of the dark, but it does not prevent me from seeking out the light.