A search for the note (a short story)

Tue, 08/20/2013 - 23:11 -- Boogwdy

You are on a search for a note, a note that will change your life forever.

Though you are chasing after this note you are not sure how this note looks like how it feels, or how you will react to it. The only knowledge that you possess of this note is that it will make you feel great! you will blast off into paradise where you'll spend the rest of your life in endless, neverending, pure joy.

Your friends, the media, everbody says this note is worth it, that you will be satisfied.

The wind is blowing hard against you, the sand at your feet is deep, it buries your feet, but you still struggle to walk on..."foward!" you say.

Suddenly a note flies across your face, you reach for it and grab it instantly, open it up!

oh it's just your friends telling you how  much they love you and whatever. move on.

You walk further, stop for a break. Pat your pocekts, notice something crumble you dig in and it's a note! where did that come from? You open the note. It's from all the members of you're family; they are giving you thanksgiving and advice, your parents express their undying love for you. Even your "annoying" younger brother writes you sweet words. You get a warm feeling in your heart, you feel the embrace of all your loving family memebers, you smile, neatly fold the note and put it back in your pocket. "not the note I was looking for." The trip contiues...

*woosh* you hear a noice. The wind. Not only the sound of the wind but the sound of paper also. You look left, right, left, right, left again! You catch a glimpse of something glistening in the not so far distance, you run like there is no sand under your feet! this must be it! it must be! you come near the note, grab it! no it slipped through your hands. Run for it again, you jump foward trying to catch it, but all you get is a mouthfull of sand, as you lay on your belly you look up and see the note gently floating in the wind, flowing around, dancing in cirlces as if it was teasing you. The wind stops. The wind stopped. And the note gently, and very slowly decends into your hands. Excited, suprised, eager? not one word can describe your overwhelming emotion right now. Your hands close up, and you jump up quick! close your eyes, you take a deep breath, open the note followed by your eyes. It's what you wanted! it's the love note you've been waiting for, you jump up and down! chear! scream! laugh. the deep sand below you is no longer sand but smooth, wonderfully pollished wood! this joy lasts you days, weeks, months, but then it starts to fade. Slowly but surely, fade. The wood floor is slowly becoming sand again. "Maybe this note wasnt meant to be mine" you say to yourself. Couple more days later and you are back to the way you were in the beginning, pitiful.

You let your found love note fly away, into the horizon it goes. "That note wasnt meant to be mine" you say. So you go looking for another one.

You find it but it turns out, after a few days of joy with this love note, the words suddenly turned bitter, and harmful. The once before romantic words on the note are now demanding and demeaning words that display nothing but hate but there is a scent of fake love sprinkled on top of this hate to act as a cover. You decide to keep this note for a little longer to see if joy will once again rise out of the darky mist. No a couple of days later and you find yourself looking for another. You find it but something else happens and that note wasnt yours either. They come and go. time passes, will you ever find one? one day as you are walking through the soft, deep sand with your head down you start to notice the surface getting a little stronger. The sand starts to feel more solid under your feet, you are no longer sinking in but rather walking on top the sand like any other ground surface. You walk further and you feel water. Water at your toes. You look up and see a beautiful sun setting over the quite, blue ocean. The view is amazing, you take a deep breath. Close your eyes, open them again and then the thought runs through in your mind: what am I really searching for? how does it look like? And how do I know its authentic and mine when I find it?