Rosa Parks and civil rights

95380

Rosa parks and Civil rights

It was a cool winter evening on December 1, 1955.
I has just finished a long hard day at work as a seamstress. and I was walking home in the rain. I found a bus and decided to board. I boarded the bus and paid my fair, and off I went to the section reserved for blacks.

After a few stops hear and there, a white man boarded. The driver instructed him to pay his fine and sit down, and he did what he was told. As the man approached my side of the bus, I noticed all the white seats were taken, I didn't think too highly of the situation, and I went on with my business.

Suddenly I hear the driver telling tome to move from my seat; the seat reserved for blacks. I refused to give up my seat to a white man because he wouldn't have done the same for me. After that, the driver threatened to call the police when I refused to give up my seat to a white man. I didn't move.

The reason I didn't move was not only because I was so tired of working twelve hours in my job as a seamstress, nor was it because I had to walk home in the rain after getting off the side walk and making room for a white man or women to cross every so feet. It was because I was tired of whites being treated like kings and queens, and because 12 months ago, I had to exit the bus and re-enter it from the back only to have it drive off without me. I was tired of the whites making all the decisions and thinking they could run my town, my city, and my country. I was tired of that.

A few minutes later the bus driver returned with a cop, and I was arrested.
After my arrest and my jail fine, I went to my church meeting and I spoke with Mr. king (our recently appointed Baptist minister and the leader of the NAACP) along with other black leaders to discuss what we were going to do about the arrest, and we organized a plan to show the white community we weren’t afraid of them.

On Saturday December 3, we organized a boycott on the Alabama bus service. Only few of us rode the bus that week, most of us just walked, rode our bikes, or even took a taxi, all in an effort to show the bus service we weren’t afraid of them.

After months of them fighting and us going to the supreme court we finally won our rights. December 20, 1956, The city passed an ordinance authorizing black bus passengers to sit virtually anywhere they chose on buses.

Our boycott wasn’t just to sit anywhere we wanted on the bus, it was just the beginning of a change in our history.
The civil rights movement was not only a change in our history, but also a change in our present. Its because of these leaders that we can have the rights we have. The civil rights movement helped shape America. And its because of leaders like Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks that we have the rights that we have.