Robin Elizabeth Keyes

Sun, 01/08/2012 - 21:53 -- poet

By Robin
May 16, 1988 at 1:19 AM my mother gave birth to her first daughter but her fourth child
being the only girl with three brothers was the best. My father wasn’t around when I was born but he was still in my life. At the age of one my father had got me so spoiled my favorite words were, “mine, not yours, and so.”
My mother hated the fact that I was so spoiled, but hey, I was cute. I was daddy’s little girl and anything I wanted I got and nobody was allowed to yell at me or touch me or there was hell to pay.
My second birthday was the best. I had a lot of fun at my birthday party. My grandma, aunts and uncles and cousins came. At the end of the day after the party there was much cleaning to do. I started whining cause I wanted gum. My mother said no, but my father took me into my room and gave me all the candy my little heart desired. This might sound hard to believe but my life was ruined on the night of October 1990 when I mother told me I was going to be an older sister. My world came crashing down I was so upset. Then at dinner time my mom was making my food cause I never ate the same thing as my brothers. When I was waiting for my food I got mischievous, I guess it was that “terrible two” thing. I walked over to where my brothers were eating and I knocked all they food off the table. Even though I didn’t get into trouble I went to my room until my father came to see me. I immediately told my father what happened and why. He explained to me that it was true but I was always going to be his little girl.
The more my mother’s stomach grew the more I hated what was inside until my mother told me it was a girl. I was so happy I was going to be an older sister. I soon began bugging my mom about school cause I wanted to be a good example for my sister. My mom told me I was too young, but I was me. So my mom got my aunt who was also a Pre-K teacher, to help me. By February I knew my ABC’s and could read “See Spot Run” April 3, 1991 my little sister was born.

nmeaton

I'm really impressed by this young poet.